The Goal: Design an ideal online quote and purchase experience for homeowners insurance.
Additional Team Members: Two Information Architects, One Visual Designer, and Two Interns.
I led the interns in a discovery effort as we collectively reviewed previous research, interviewed internal Subject Matter Experts, and performed a Competitive Analysis of 8 other insurers who had an online homeowners quoting experience at the time. We also analyzed phone recordings of homeowners sales calls with call center agents and I conducted follow-up interviews with agents.
Initial wireframes were created by an Information Architect based on learnings from the Discovery activities. I then conducted two rounds of Rapid Iterative Testing and Evaluation (RITE) with 29 customers in total. In these usability tests, participants interacted with the black-and-white wireframes showing a proposed homeowners quote and purchase process. A few participants were run each testing day, the wireframes were easily and quickly modified to address feedback, and participants on the next testing day viewed a modified prototype. The concepts evolved greatly over the course of testing, with larger changes occurring between the two rounds.
During RITE, I determined that customers (and some team members) were struggling with understanding a particular set of coverages. This was not a usability issue, but rather it was due to the complexity of the product. I created a flow chart that explained how the coverages applied, and made separate recommendations for our clients to discuss with the Product team if this were to be offered online.
Based on the findings from RITE, two versions of an HTML prototype were made. I conducted a round of validation testing with 10 customers where they completed the quote and purchase tasks. All participants gave feedback on both versions. After testing, my recommendations were used to create a single version, which combined aspects of each.
I delivered a detailed final report at the end of each phase, including key feedback received, the initial and final versions of each prototype, and rationale for change. The overall final deliverable was the finalized HTML prototype.